Friday, 10 January 2014

Before We Met - Lucie Whitehouse

Before We MetBefore We Met by Lucie Whitehouse
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a cracking thriller!

Hannah is a lucky young woman, she has a rich, handsome, successful, loving husband Mark and lives in a fabulous luxury home in London. Although she had to give up her own career in New York when they moved back to the UK where Marks' company's based and has been unsuccessful in getting herself a new job everything else in the garden is rosy for her ... but not for long.

We meet her when she is at the airport awaiting Marks return from yet another business trip back to the USA, as the hours pass and he doesn't turn up we begin to worry with her, especially when details about his trip don't seem to add up. She can't contact him, his work colleagues seem to have been told a different story about his destination and a mysterious woman is mentioned whom Hannah has never heard of. Naturally, she tries to find out what's going on but the deeper she digs the more she uncovers that can't be easily explained.

As the mystery deepens I began to jump to similar conclusions as Hannah but what unfurls seems even worse than expected and her privileged, happy, married life starts to unravel. To say a book is full of twists and turns seems very trite, but there really is no other way of describing this absolutely enthralling thriller, expect the unexpected and you won't be disappointed. I kept reading far later into the night than I usually do as I just needed to find out a little more and every time I thought I had it sussed, something else came along to make me gasp.

I found the ending genuinely quite terrifying too!

I've read Lucie Whitehouses' previous novel The Bed I Made and hugely enjoyed that as its also tense and exciting, but this surpassed my expectations - what a great writer! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for future work by her and I extend my gratitude to Netgalley for my advance review copy.



1 comment:

  1. I read The House At Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse and quite enjoyed it, though with some reservations. This sounds quite irresistible though! Very twisty. I am fairly confident that I'll be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete